- AbatementA process whereby asbestos or contaminated material is removed from an area by setting up containment facilities to remove it safely without(...)
- Acoustic Ceiling TileAcoustic ceiling tile is a common ceiling system that is typically installed in a grid. The grid is typically a metal grid and hung from hangers(...)
- ACTAcoustic ceiling tile is a common ceiling system that is typically installed in a grid. The grid is typically a metal grid and hung from hangers(...)
- AsbestosThere are several minerals commonly known as asbestos. These minerals can be used to make products strong, long-lasting and(...)
- Bent PlateBent plate is a term used in structural steel or miscellaneous metals scope for construction. A bent plate is basically a flat plate that has(...)
- C-ChannelA steel member in the shape of a C. Typically used in structural columns or where beams need a flat face on one side to sit flush against something.
- CamberIn the world of structural steel, camber denotes a curve in the vertical plane; sweep denotes a curve in the horizontal plane. Steel members(...)
- CCNContemplated Change Notice - a formal contract document issued by a consultant to initiate a pricing exercise.
- CDA document issued typically by the consultant or owner to the contractor in order to instruct them to carry out work. A change directive puts(...)
- Change DirectiveA document issued typically by the consultant or owner to the contractor in order to instruct them to carry out work. A change directive puts(...)
- Change OrderIn project management, a change order is a component of the change management process whereby changes in the Scope of Work agreed to by the(...)
- COIn project management, a change order is a component of the change management process whereby changes in the Scope of Work agreed to by the(...)
- ConstructionThe construction definition is something that is challenging to explain in just a paragraph. The simplest definition of construction is(...)
- ContingencyAdditional time or money allocated to a construction project in order to mitigate risk related to specific items. For example, one may carry(...)
- Corner BeadA corner bead is a trim that you apply to an outside corner or reveal on drywall to protect an exposed corner and create a clean edge. Typically(...)
- CurtainwallA curtainwall is a exterior surface mounted to the outside of the building which is designed to stand various forces but not take any of the(...)
- Cut SheetA set of data or information on a product or material that is pre-manufactured. For example you get cut sheets of washroom accessories, light(...)
- DuctworkSheet metal or plastic tube hollow structures that carry air throughout a complex for distribution in a heating and air conditioning system(...)
- Fall ArrestFall arrest is the last line of defense in protecting workers against falls. Fall arrest is a term that encompasses the process of preventing(...)
- Fan Coil UnitFrom WikipediaA fan coil unit (FCU) is a simple device consisting of a heating and/or cooling heat exchanger or 'coil' and fan. It is part of(...)
- FCUFrom WikipediaA fan coil unit (FCU) is a simple device consisting of a heating and/or cooling heat exchanger or 'coil' and fan. It is part of(...)
- Formworkcreated out of plywood or engineered metal systems. Formwork comes in many shapes and sizes and acts as walls or retaining barriers for when(...)
- FoundationWhat is a building foundation? The foundation of a building is lowest point in a building which typically carries the load of the upper(...)
- Galvanizea method of preventing rust on steel and making it more durable to the elements. It involves dipping metal into a hot bath of zinc rich paint(...)
- Gantt ChartYou know those weird bar charts you always see someone bring out in a meeting? A gantt chart is just a fancy name for it. Ultimately a gantt(...)
- Hollow Steel SectionA square like piece of steel that is hollow on the interior. Typically used in structural supports.
- HSSA square like piece of steel that is hollow on the interior. Typically used in structural supports.
- Intumescent PaintThis definition has been taken from ArchToolboxIntumescent coatings, often referred to as intumescent paint, are used in buildings as a passive(...)
- JoistA length of timber or steel supporting part of the structure of a building, typically arranged in parallel series to support a floor or ceiling(...)
- Low IronLow iron is a term used in glass. What it means is that there is low iron content in the glass. Iron is a component baked into standard glass(...)
- Luffing CraneA luffer or luffing crane is often seen in urban areas where site areas are tight. A luffer crane can be determined by the angled jib. The jib(...)
- Mag LockA mag lock or electromagnetic lock is a piece of door hardware designed to be installed at the top of a door. The mag lock is a magnet that when(...)
- MockupWhere multiple materials come together the consultant or owner may request a mockup. Mockups are great way to control quality as a lot of the(...)
- Modular ConstructionModular construction is the act of building parts of or an entire building off site in a seperate facility. This construction method offers(...)
- MortarMortar or grout is a cement like product that is installed between the joints of the bricks in order to help keep them together.
- Nelson StudsAre metal rods with caps typically welded to deck or steel in order to provide a better bond to the concrete.
- Pattern MatchingOriginally posted at https://www.surreymarbleandgranite.co.uk/pattern-matching-and-book-matching-stone/On small areas or rooms it is possible to(...)
- Post TensionThe act of making a concrete reinforced slab strong by adding rods which are tightened and put in tension after the concrete has cured. This(...)
- PrimerA base layer of paint typically used as a first coat. The paint is normally more dense allowing it to provide better coverage and concealment to(...)
- Quarter CutQuarter cut is a method of cutting wood whereby the logs are sawn into lumber. The resulting lumber is called quartersawn (quarter-sawn),(...)
- Rebarlong metal rods added to concrete in order to increase the strength of it in tension. Rebar comes in different shapes and sizes and can be(...)
- Relationships (Schedule)Relationships are really one of the most important part of a schedule. Activities and work breakdown structure without relationships are really(...)
- Running BondRunning bond is a method of laying tile, stone or brick whereby stones are staggers on top of each other in halves in order to create an offset(...)
- ScaffoldScaffolding is a temporary structure typically installed in order to provide access to elevated spaces. Depending upon your region different(...)
- ScarifyingScarifying in construction is the act of removing part of (typically the top) of concrete slabs or structure. If a slab is too high for the(...)
- ShoringThe act of reinforcing something with a structure in order to maintain the stability. Items such as long posts called shoring jacks or(...)
- SIA Supplemental Instruction is commonly used to resolve minor issues in construction documents so long as the change does not affect contract(...)
- Site InstructionA Supplemental Instruction is commonly used to resolve minor issues in construction documents so long as the change does not affect contract(...)
- Spandrel PanelThe are between the clear vision glass of two floors that spans the floor slab. Typically this is done out of vision glass (see vision glass) or(...)
- Stack BondStack bond is a method of laying brick or tile whereby all of the joints are in line and bricks or tile are stacked directly on top of one(...)
- Swing StageSwing stages are platforms which are suspended from buildings utilizing cables. These platforms are used for man and material access to vertical(...)
- Variable Frequency DriveA Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) is a type of motor controller that drives an electric motor by varying the frequency and voltage supplied to(...)
- VFDA Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) is a type of motor controller that drives an electric motor by varying the frequency and voltage supplied to(...)
- Water closetFancy name for a flush toilet or room containing a flush toilet.
- WBSThink of the work break down structure as your categories within your schedule. They are buckets where you can enter categories and allow you to(...)
- WeldThe act of heating two members of steel up to a very high temperature in order to fuse the two members together. This is usually performed using(...)
- Work Break Down StructureThink of the work break down structure as your categories within your schedule. They are buckets where you can enter categories and allow you to(...)